It’s National Fire Door Safety Week starting Monday 15th September through to Sunday 21st and the industry are gearing again this year to raise awareness of the critical role of fire doors, drawing attention to specific issues such as poor installation and maintenance.
Various Events are happening during the week including:
- FDIS are running some regional seminars on Fire Doors and the Law
- BM TRADA fire resistance test streaming live over the internet on Monday 15th September at 11am for 30 minutes. Email email@example.com for access. A password is required to view the presentation.
- Other events are planned by supporters. More info at http://www.firedoorsafetyweek.co.uk
For the latest events and a toolkit that you can use please visit the Fire Door Safety Week website by visiting www.firedoorsafetyweek.co.uk or follow on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/FDSafetyWeek as well as following us at http://www.twitter.com/NSHFSG for news on events taking place by members across England and Wales.
Poorly fitted and maintained fire doors costs lives
We fully support the campaign and our members will be running events and campaigns during this time to raise awareness with residents, contractors and staff. Peter Gannaway, Chair of the National Social Housing Fire Strategy Group recently supporting the campaign said:
“We fully support Fire Door Safety Week as we are aware that poorly fitted or maintained fire doors cost lives. Our members recognise the importance of correctly specified fire doors and with the emphasis on defend in place, ensuring the correct fire doors are in place and maintained by competent operatives is an essential element of any fire strategy.
However we also recognise that residents have an important role to play and despite the advanced design of modern fire doors, simple things like wedges or removed closers can have terrible consequences. We recognise that to maintain the safety of our communities all our teams in housing; specifiers, maintenance and housing officers have a vital role to play”
Members of the National Social Housing Fire Strategy Group will be:
- Raising awareness with staff, residents, tenants and customers
- Carrying out fire door inspections on their stock
- Highlighting the dangers of wedging fire doors open
- Attending planned seminars
Below are a couple of videos that may be of use:
How Safe are your fire doors
Top tips for Installing a Fire Door